History of Gongju
- 475 : King Moonju, the 22nd king of Baekje, moved its capital from Wirye to Ungjin.
- 538 : King Seong, the 26th king, moved the capital to Sabi.
- 686 : King Shinmun changed its name from Ungjin-eup to Ungcheon-ju, and set up an administrative agency.
- 757 : King Gyeongdeok renamed it Ungju.
- 940 : King Taejo renamed it Gongju and set up an administrative agency.
- 983 : King Seongjong established Gongju Mok.
- 1895 : Chungcheong-do Province was divided into Gongju, Hongju and Chungju. Gongju-bu (district) supervised 27 counties, and became the largest among 23 districts along with Pyongyang.
- 1896 : The district system was cancelled, and Chungcheong-do was split into Chungcheongbuk-do and Chungcheongnam-do After Hongju District and Gongju District were combined, Gongju became the center of Chungcheongnam-do (South), supervising 37 counties.