Acquisition of nationality
Foreign residents who meet the following qualifications may apply for denizenship at the competent office of the Korea Immigration Service by submitting the required documents according to status of stay.
- To ensure that the detailed qualifications are met, it is recommended to carefully prepare documents after consulting with experts.
- Foreign residents who have lived in Korea for five or more years
- Foreign residents whose father or mother was a citizen of Korea or was born in Korea, who were born in Korea and who have lived in Korea for three or more years
- Foreign residents who are married to Korean citizens and have lived in Korea for two or more years
- Foreign residents whose father or mother is a citizen of Korea
※ Foreign residents whose father or mother was naturalized may apply for a special permit for naturalization, regardless of age, marital status or period of stay in Korea.
- Foreign residents who have made a special contribution to Korea
- Marriage immigrants who entered Korea, were registered as foreign residents, and who have legally stayed in Korea for two or more years
- Marriage immigrants who have been married to Korean citizens for three or more years, and who have lived in Korea for one or more years
- Marriage immigrants who have failed to maintain normal marital relations for a reason attributable to the Korean spouse, including death, disappearance and other reasons, and who have stayed in Korea for two or more years
- Marriage immigrants who have had children with Korean spouses and who are raising the underage children, or who will raise underage children
- Required Documents
- Application for Naturalization (attached: one color photo, 4 cm X 5 cm)
- ※ A copy of the first page of the application
- Statement of reference (attached photo)
- A copy of passport
- Certificate of family relations and a copy of the resident registration of Korean spouses
- References proving financial ability (one of the following documents)
- A bank statement with the savings of KRW 30 million or more deposited in the name of the foreign resident or a family member living together with the foreign resident
- A copy of real estate registration or a copy of a lease agreement
- References proving the income of the foreign resident or their spouse, including the certificate of employment
- References proving the suspension of marital relations with the Korean spouse (if applicable)
※The adjudication of disappearance (if Korean spouses are missing), the death certificate (if Korean spouses are dead) or the court decision specifying Korean spouses are responsible for the dissolution of the marriage (if marriage immigrants have divorced or are separated from Korean spouses)
- If a marriage immigrant is raising Korean children after divorcing a Korean spouse, the marriage immigrant shall submit a certificate of family relations of Korean children, and references proving that the marriage immigrant is raising children or is responsible for raising children.
- Service charge: KRW 100,000
Source : Danuri (The multicultural family support portal site)